What Is Discipleship At BCS?
Discipleship IS NOT a list of activities or steps...
Discipleship IS NOT a formula...
Discipleship IS NOT a program...
Discipleship is a lifestyle... it's who we are, and we're unapologetic about it.
What You Don't Say Is As Important As What You Do...
The absence of the language of "true discipleship" in what follows is intentional, as it is apparent in the Scripture that discipleship is not a matter of degrees measured on some sort of spectrum or continuum. To be a believer is to be a disciple.
Bearspaw Christian School's Definition Of A Disciple
"A disciple of Jesus Christ is an individual who has chosen to align their values, priorities, attitudes, behaviours and relationships with the example and teaching of Jesus as expressed in his life and as recorded in his Word and is committed to inviting others to the same journey."
7 Discipleship Outcomes
Throughout the history of Christianity disciples of Jesus have found themselves at odds with their contemporary culture's values, priorities, attitudes, behaviours and relationships. Jesus predicted that this would always be the case. Discipleship is counter-intuitive and fundamentally counter-cultural. Sadly, however, it appears that the gap between the ways of the world and the ways of contemporary disciples has never been smaller.
- A disciple unashamedly identifies with Jesus and loves Him so passionately that all other relationships pale by comparison... "I'm one of His" - Matthew 10:32-33
- A disciple unashamedly identifies with fellow disciples and loves them so passionately as to astound the rest of the world... "I'm one of them" - John 13:34-35 / 1 John 4:7-8
- A disciple's choices are entirely shaped by the teaching of Jesus - down to the details... John 8:31 / John 14:5
- A disciple anticipates and embraces suffering, hardship and relational alienation because of identifying with Jesus - "It's not an easy path" - Luke 9:23 / John 18:18-21 / Matthew 5:11-12 / Acts 5:41
- A disciple's highest priority is to become conformed to the likeness of Christ - any area of non-conformity becomes a target for transformation - Galations 4:19 / 1 John 3:2-3
- A disciple constantly points others to Jesus - "More of Him... less of me" - Matt 28:20
- A disciple validates commitment to the Master by persevering, continuing and nurturing a sustainable faith - John 8:31 / Revelation 2
The Character Traits Of A Disciple Of Jesus
A character trait is an internal motivation to do what is right, regardless of the circumstances, based on convictions that have been intentionally embraced and chosen as a guide to all of life. When an individual's character remains consistent across multiple social contexts that person is said to posess integrity. Integrity is the fundamental character trait of a disciple.