BCS @Home - Flexible Learning... Connected Community
BCS @Home is an extension of the Bearspaw Christian School community which allows for flexibility in time and space. BCS @Home aims to fulfill the school’s mission of “Joining with the Family to Realize Personal Academic Excellence and Christ-like Character in Each Student.” We do this by providing both the support and the flexibility your family needs given your unique circumstances and desires.
Parents have been given the privilege of being stewards of their children’s lives for a very short time, but we believe the teaching and training they provide is eternal! Colossians 1:28 says, “He is the one we proclaim, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone fully mature in Christ.” BCS @Home can support your family as you pursue excellence in mind, heart, body and soul for the glory of the Lord!
Principal, BCS @Home
BCS @Home Mission Statement
BCS @Home is an extension of the BCS Community which allows for flexibility in time and space and integrates Christian discipleship with learning.
BCS @Home meets our mission by:
Joining with the Family to realize academic excellence by:
- Recognizing the central role of parents in the education of their children
- Providing flexibility in space and time for learning to occur while also connecting families with a physical school community that prioritizes discipleship infused education
- Assistance in development of an education program plan to meet the academic needs of your child. This includes support in helping families choose print and/or digital resources and curriculum
- Support from BCS @Home teachers who have experience with home education and who are informed about the special characteristics of tutorial learning.
- Ability to provide diagnostic and achievement testing including the provincial achievement tests and student learning assessments.
- Opportunity to attend field trips, camps, socials and other school events
- Opportunity to take part in learning modules and classes designed for homeschooling students
- Opportunity to participate in all extracurricular activities including school clubs, athletics and after school programming
Joining with the family to realize Christ-Like character development by:
- Partnering with local churches to come alongside parents who are the primary spiritual caregivers - BCS @Home seeks to help “widen the circle” to provide discipleship infused education
- Connecting with a physical school community that is committed to pursuing Christ-like excellence in everything!
- Opportunities to attend weekly chapels, small groups, discipleship events and participate on worship teams
- Local service opportunities available as well as family oriented short term educational mission trips
How To Apply
STEP 1 - Have an initial phone conversation or meeting with the BCS @Home Principal to learn more about what we offer, our distinctiveness and the school's mission and vision.
STEP 2 - You will receive an e-mail with a link to our easy to use online application tool.
STEP 3 - Once your online application is complete and supporting documents have been received, you will receive notification if BCS @Home is willing to supervise your home education program.
STEP 4 - Your facilitator will contact you and discuss the development of your proposed education plan should you desire assistance. The education plan must be developed prior to September 30.
Have A Question About Admissions To BCS @Home?
E-mail Us: email@example.com / Phone Us: 403-295-2566
Programs We Offer
What types of families choose BCS @Home?
All types! Some examples include:
- Parents who want more involvement in their child's education
- Families that want more flexibility in time and space. Some reasons for this may include:
- Families that travel
- Athletes or other students who spend a significant amount of time training after school hours
- Students who want more time to pursue personal passions and interests
- Students that learn at a different pace
- Students that find more success in an environment outside of the classroom
Get To Know The BCS @Home Staff
Mr. Clinton Weening
Principal - BCS @Home
Hi, my name is Clinton Weening and I am thrilled to be the Principal of BCS @Home. I hold a Bachelor of Arts in Education from Calvin College and a Master of Arts in Education from Michigan State University. Upon graduation I was privileged to be able to serve as an Athletic Director, PE Teacher and Coach in both Honduras and Egypt. Upon returning to Alberta, I spent one year teaching PE in High Level before moving to Calgary to serve as an Assistant Principal at a private school in NE Calgary. This will be my second year at BCS and in addition to BCS @Home I am also the Junior High Athletic Director. I love spending time with my children, playing sports, and am actively involved at Foothills Alliance Church. My wife and I love to travel and experience new cultures. I feel blessed to be a part of BCS and walk alongside homeschooling families who are pouring into the lives of their children in mind, heart body and soul. I look forward to getting to know you more and serving your families in home based Christian education.
Ms. Kari Bell
BCS @Home Teacher
I am originally from Saskatchewan where I graduated in 1992 with a B.Ed. from the University of Saskatchewan. In 1993, I married my high school sweetheart David. We are blessed to have five wonderful children (one daughter and four sons). Homeschooling has been a part of my life for four years now. The extra time with my children has provided me with the opportunity to recognize their individual gifts and talents. This year, I will have two homeschoolers, one in Grade 7 and one in Grade 11. As a family we love to travel. The adventure we loved the most was the year we spent living near Tampa Bay, Florida. The year was filled with new friends, experiences and reliance on God. Our family, presently, hosts a church in our home on Sunday mornings where we fellowship, pray, worship and study God’s Word. It is exciting to see the way God is working in our lives. I am really thankful for the opportunity to teach with BCS @Home. It is amazing the way the Lord puts things together! I absolutely love helping to create and support an education plan that meets the individual needs of students and families as they pursue excellence in mind, heart, body and soul. I look forward to working with my new families, as together we strive to fulfill God’s calling to disciple our children.
Ms. Laura Locke
BCS @Home Teacher
Hi, I’m Laura Locke and I’m delighted to be back in my second year as a BCS @Home teacher. I truly love coming alongside homeschooling families to help them have the best homeschooling experience possible. I grew up in Red Deer, and graduated from the University of Calgary with a B.Ed. degree. My husband and I served with Wycliffe Bible Translators for a number of years, and my teaching experience includes being an elementary teacher at Glenmore Christian Academy, ESL instructor at Bow Valley College, curriculum writer for Alberta Education, and Associate Principal at Foundations for the Future Charter Academy. My husband and I have three grown children. We homeschooled our youngest son, who has Tourette Syndrome, for most of his schooling. We loved the flexibility, as well as the opportunity to constantly learn and explore new things together. I enjoy playing the accordion in an ensemble, and my husband and I love riding our bikes and singing in our church choir. I am looking forward to an exciting year at BCS @Home as we continue to blossom – each of us personally and together as a BCS @Home family. May we continually lean on God’s abundant wisdom, mercy and love, and praise Him in all things!
Ms. Kim Scott
BCS @Home Teacher
Hi! My name is Kim Scott and I am excited to be teaching with the BCS @Home program. After getting my degree in Education and a diploma in Early Childhood at the University of Calgary, I had the amazing privilege of attending a Caponwray Bible School in Colorado for one year. Upon returning home, I taught various elementary grades for seven years before having children of my own. Once they were school age, I began to homeschool them. Since then, my eldest daughter has graduated but my other two children are still being homeschooled. This has been a great fit for our family as it gives us wonderful flexibility to travel and to do life more together, while enabling us to grow more in our faith as a family together. Camping and being outdoors are some of our favorite pastimes, while gardening in the summer is one of my favorite hobbies. I feel very privileged to be working with the BCS @Home families. I have enjoyed homeschooling over the years and I find it exciting to assist other families who also have decided to embark upon this type of learning with their own families.